Friday, September 18, 2009

Say I'm your number one

The back pain subsided and was replaced almost immediately with a cold. I now have kidney pain, which is less debilitating than back pain, but it’s making me jumpy, because I have a big weekend planned. I’m having a hen-do of sorts, that will involve copious amounts of tequila-based drinkery, copious amounts of Mexican food, and copious amounts of dancing at Buttoned Down Disco.

Last weekend I went to Devon. It was not the best of times, but there’s no sense going into detail here.

I wanted to post here to a part of a music blog called Freaky Trigger, called Popular. The latter reviews every number one record since the 1950s. I’ve been reading for about a year or so and have been contributing comments to the entries that I find most interesting. My comments aren't insightful or funny, I just enjoy chipping in. I’m sure you’ll spot me if you know my Twitter handle.

Popular has now reached the period of music that I love most of all, the mid-1980s. Such richness, such diversity, such pomposity, such hair. Each new entry transports me back to that time. Given that this period coincides with me at my most exposed (newly at secondary school/hating it; family troubles; general pre-teenage confusion about everything), the songs aren't always a pathway back to feelgood.

Two weeks to go then.

*sharp intake of breath*

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 1:57 pm, Blogger Paperback Tourist said...

Hmmm, well co-incimental. I was having a bit of a rant earlier about Bob Satanly's attempts (in The Guardian) to establish Sir Cliff as a national icon and Popular was mentioned, people falling over themselves to declare his cod psychedelic period as something profound. Rubbish.

Just enjoying the Dead or Alive comments though. Used to go to a club called Subterfuge which was half-goth, half-high NRG. Gina X 'No GDM' followed by 'Kick in the Eye'. Bobby O jostling with Birthday Party. I'm feeling quite wistful!

Sorry to hear about your 'ealth, by the way.

 
At 2:22 pm, Blogger deafdisco said...

OMG, as i think the young people say, that sounds like just my kind of night out.

i am an unashamed SAW supporter. of course, they over-extended themselves eventually, as so many people do, but they can't be blamed for that.

what i forgot to comment there was that SAW were also responsible for one of my favourite records *of all time*, the mighty 'no memory' by scarlet fantastic.

re my health, i would like to appropriate some words:

does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
i dunno.

 
At 4:43 pm, Blogger Paperback Tourist said...

I can't find any online documentation unfortunately but I used to go here religiously. You would've loved both of 'em.

SAW went off the boil once Rick, Kylie and Jason were on board, but redeemed themselves with that great run of Minogue singles from the 'Rhythm of Love' album ('Shocked', 'What Do I Have To Do', etc)...

Pete Waterman's got a book about trainspotting out.

 
At 4:55 pm, Blogger Paperback Tourist said...

Incidentally, I really think Trevor Horn's production for Propaganda had an enormous influence over the pop that followed.

 
At 10:29 am, Blogger deafdisco said...

waterman is a huge age of steam enthusiast, in fact i think he owns one or two steam trains. good to have a hobby.

trevor horn...he is pretty damn great at what he does. that reminds me, i must add 'left to my own devices' to the party playlist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home