Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Left to my own devices

At the end of this week and all of next I am going to be the original social firefly (do any of you remember the cutesy sounds of Blast Off Country Style?). Having a number of distractions to take my mind away from the big things that are happning in the background is a comfort, and I think having a reason to leave the flat and be with people may just save me.

Like many outwardly well-organised people, I have to very work hard at keeping things together. I get distracted easily by things and put things off constantly. As a child, I was messy and never finished projects, finding myself distracted all the time by books and imaginary worlds. I recall quite clearly my parents once coming into our living room and waving a hand in front of my face to snap me out of whatever reverie I was stuck in.

Now I'm older, I try a bit harder to be together. I wouldn't say I was whimsical, but I do have a scattergun approach to life and (especially) work. Procrastination plays a huge part and if it weren't for the lists, spreadsheets and hundreds of post-it note reminders, very little would get completed or recalled.

I was about to say that the above was a flaw, but actually, it's not. A flaw would be an addiction to fruit machines, or something worse. Our brains can only contain so much stuff and it's inevitable that some of this should need to be pushed out, at the expense of other things. My once crystal-clear memory is becoming ever more fuzzy. There would have been a time when I would have lamented that, but I'm now much happier to let things go.

More test results are due tomorrow, and life is probably going to barge in once more.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home