Tuesday, June 23, 2009

You have to put the death in everything

Summer is properly here, which is excellent. On Sunday night I took a walk down to the allotment to pick blackcurrants, and was pleasantly suprised with the haul - in an hour, I picked just over over a pound [I work mainly in Imperial]. The only problem with blackcurrants is that to make them palatable, you have to cook them with a ton of sugar. This is generally fine, but I am trying to shift some of my excess weight: so the chances for me to eat crumbles and delicious pies every other day are reducing.

I did my fruit picking while listening to the sound of either a) a remarkably good Rolling Stones cover band or b) the actual Rolling Stones, drifting across the river. I'm unsure which.

The weekend itself was a bit of a wash-out, as JJ had been ill for the majority of the week, and he was pretty feeble until Sunday morning, when he was suddenly galvanised to get well by a trip to town to see David Mancuso do his thing. Primarily, I spent my time doing jobs that I had been putting off for ages, like cleaning limescale off of bathroom tiles. The glamorous life, indeed.

It's a landmark birthday for JJ this week. He is pretty sanguine about it. This whole getting older/decaying thing is inevitable, and I think it needs to be approached with a light heart. The topic of death was never tiptoed around in our household. In fact, my parents used to row on a frequent basis about who would go first. Looking back, I suppose that this was pretty odd, and it didn't exactly prepare me in any way for my father's sudden and untimely demise. But it at least put the subject out there in the real world.

The title of this post is from Wake up Boo, of course, a song which on the face it it is a happy romp, but it has some depressing lyrics. The song begins with a jolly "Summer's gone!", after all. I tip my hat to Martin Carr.

I don't know why I went off on this tangent, but why not, eh.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 6:10 pm, Blogger Red Ruby Rose said...

Mmm, Mick Jagger and ripe juicy fruit, the perfect summer combo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home