Friday, April 17, 2009

Words are very unnecessary

Apologies for the silence. I tried to post something earlier in the week but failed to feel happy enough with it to click the "publish post" button.

Last weekend, I returned from my time away in Devon feeling melancholy, for a number of reasons that are too boring to recount here. Despite that, it was a good visit. I saw plenty of family and even some friends this time - one of them long-lost. I know I mentioned him in the early days of this blog, but cannot be bothered to find the permalink. Sorry.

What else has happened?

I started my annual cycle of hayfever misery two weeks ago. It's still causing me a fair degree of discomfort, but the many inhalers and nasal sprays I was prescribed are helping. I threw out the antihistamines that gave me vivid dreams and am using an over-the-counter brand: no more gore-soaked nightmares for me.

I went to see Fifty Dead Men Walking. This was fine, neither brilliant nor bad.

I've been watching lots of superlative US television: Mad Men, 30 Rock and The Wire.

On the latter:

I am fully aware that it has taken me years to get to this, despite friends and family bugging me in a well-meaning sort of way, as well as the excitable cluckings of Mr Brooker (whose word is approximately 95% law, as far as I am concerned), I resisted, mainly because I couldn’t find the time. Also, if I’m honest, I didn’t want any more DVD box sets hulking about the flat. You know how it is, you settle in for a guilty 90 minutes’ worth of soaps on a Monday night and find yourself glancing at the bookshelf, where 630 hours of top-quality viewing glowers down at you, like a disappointed elderly aunt who has just caught you breaking wind at a funeral.

Anyway, I’m at the climax of season one, watching on terrestrial TV via the magic of a hard disk recorder. At present, I am doing my best to drink every detail in. I am also indebted to the subtitles, because some of the dialogue is tough to follow. Thank you, my failing hearing!

That's all for now. Coming soon: I get even more excited about going to the USA (three weeks to go).

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:28 pm, Blogger Mr T said...

A mate of mine has downloaded all 5 series (is it?) of The Wire, and I'm eagerly awaiting to hear back from him with a pick-up time.

Sunlight schmunlight!

 
At 8:00 am, Blogger deafdisco said...

i am jonesing for season 2 already.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home