Thursday, March 19, 2009

Rent a flat above a shop...

Google Streetview has launched, and today I found my old home on it.

The walls had Christmas cake-artex finish throughout, which made falling down the stairs painful (I still have the scars), and the living room was painted mental-home orange. The door still has the 62 on it that Mrs Hall made at work.

I had some happy times there.

Before I lived in the flat, it was the home of Steve Mackey from Pulp.

Every time I hear Common People, I like to think that the "flat above a shop" that is referenced is this place. Actually, when I see the video I like to sing "I wanna live like Sadie Frost/sleep with all the people at the bus stop/take loads of drugs and make bad films..." etc.

Wrong, yes. Slightly funny, perhaps.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:33 am, Blogger Paperback Tourist said...

Jigsaws on the walls and Jarvis' college films... all those weird Pulp connections...

I've just been looking at Rydston Close. Looks like Camber Sands!

 
At 10:05 am, Blogger deafdisco said...

rydston close looks like an annexe to pentonville prison!

zone one living didn't get much better/grittier than number 62...all human life was there.

i do miss it sometimes, especially as i now have to get two night buses home when hammered (average journey time, two hours). come a time i used to roll off the N73 and stagger up the street, home in half an hour.

there are far fewer crack addicts in suburbia though, on the plus side.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home