Monday, January 12, 2009

Half-full, half-empty...half-nelson

Those of you who know me (I estimate that accounts for 99.5% of the readers of this blog) will know that I'm a pessimist by nature. I find it hard to look on the sunny side. For me, behaving in an optimistic manner requires a force of will not unlike that of Sisyphus - or for those of you not accustomed to classical allegories, like trying to enjoy Bitches Brew by Miles Davis.


[Ironically, I was an extremely optimistic manager of people, always mindlessly thinking the best of them. This lead to a huge amount of stress and misery for me in the past. Managers tend to be either a) credulous and fluffy or b) always under the impression that the staff in their employ are stupid, lazy and greedy. I'm in the former category, deffo. But I digress.]


Pessimism is the way I'm built. I was actively encouraged in this endeavour by my father, who was a great pessimist. I think he came to be that way from a veritable cavalcade of disappointment (a couple of those including being unable to go to art school owing to his family's grinding poverty, and having five female children).


Imagine my surprise, when lately I've been wheeling out jolly old me. Compared to my usual January glooming, I've been veritably Bob Fosse-ing it up, all day long. Why is this?

Put simply, I've never before sat next to someone more miserable than myself. In comparison to the colleague to my left, I'm a proper chirpy chops. So, being positive has suddenly become my life's work.

Plus, it's fun to be contrary.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 11:38 pm, Blogger Paperback Tourist said...

[a] Pessimistic is nowhere near an adjective I'd label you with, and [b] 'Bitches Brew' is bloody funky

 
At 2:27 pm, Blogger deafdisco said...

Ha, just being playful. However, left unchecked, I'd probably sink into a pit of misery of my own creation. Especially in January.

Appropos of nothing, is it just me or have hundreds of blogs/facebook pages etc been abandoned for Twitter, all of a sudden?

 
At 4:58 pm, Blogger Paperback Tourist said...

Oh, only just seen this comment! Yes, Twitter's gone ballistic. I barely update mine but get about 5 new people befriend me a day. It's faster, friendlier and good for building a community. I'm a big fan.

 
At 9:37 am, Blogger deafdisco said...

Well, I always said I'd never create a Facebook profile, then backed down and joined. At present I can't see myself "tweeting" (yuck). However, if resisting means that I begin to lose contact with most of the people I usually email and/or text, I may give in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home