Monday, November 24, 2008

Waffley versatile

Laughs, courtesy Charlie Brooker. Worth reading the comments that follow, if only for the person who admits to getting the potato waffle jingle stuck in her head. That particular tune haunts me, too.

[Did anyone catch him doing the dance routine on last week's Screenwipe? It left me unable to breathe.]

I've been experiencing this type of problem again just recently (the insomnia, not the wearing a pair of knickers as an eye mask thing).

Last night, a tiny (but deep) cut on my right index finger conspired to give me a restless night's sleep, in partnership with a repeated line of one of Joanna Newsom's rather more mannered vocals. The passage in particular sticks in my mind because she sings the word "meteorite" in exactly the same way that Dick Van Dyke might. Or moight, as the case may be. You can imagine how pleased I was to hear that looping about in my brain in the early hours. Put it this way, in comparison, I would have killed for the 'hope it's chips' jingle.

Anyway, my tiredness had a slightly unwelcome side-effect this morning when I went for a routine blood test. I had fasted for twelve hours, on instruction - so I'd had no breakfast. After an unsuccessful attempt at getting blood out of my left arm, the nurse tried the right, whereupon the top of my nose began to throb, my vision went blurry and everything sounded underwater.

Here's a short list of things that I generally go out of my way to avoid doing (in order):

Vomiting
Passing out
Failing to have breakfast

So, two out of three ticked off the list this morning. It's been about ten years since I last fainted. I was pretty embarrassed at flaking in front of nurses, for some reason...yet who better than healthcare professionals to have an episode like that with? I tried to persuade them I was fine when I clearly wasn't - luckily they aren't easily fooled (by that point I think I may have been cross-eyed, a dead giveaway if ever there was one).

Enough of that.

Rewinding a bit, I was also cheered on Friday evening by a new series of the mighty IT Crowd, in particular the bizarre vocal inflections of Matt Berry. I loved Roy's t-shirt, too.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:25 am, Blogger Paperback Tourist said...

I think the passing out at blood tests thing is quite common. I've done it and so have several friends. It's a pretty weird feeling. I quite like it in a way...

 
At 11:14 am, Blogger deafdisco said...

A couple of workmates have also confirmed this...which has made me feel slightly less foolish. I followed this episode with a ten-minute sit in the waiting room, shotgunning a double shot cappuccino and stuffing an almond croissant into my gob. From dizzy spell to sugar high in a split-second, excellent stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home