Thursday, February 19, 2009

Che Guevera and Debussy to a disco beat

Just wanted to review some stuff briefly.

Films

Little Miss Sunshine this made me plotz. Rick James!
My Architect I was concerned this would be a dry documentary: not so. Genius workaholic runs three families, builds only a handful of buildings (and a metal ship that becomes a concert stage) that are blindingly brilliant, dies alone in mysterious circumstances. Son pieces his father's life back together on film. Very touching.

TV

Mad Men good to have this back. The women in this show, while treated as chattels, are drawn in a far more three-dimensional way than most other series on TV. Gorgeous detailing in the production design. Oh, for a mid-century modern home...hang on, I already live in one.
The Brits pleased Coldplay won nothing. Switched over at Estelle and Ting Tings collaboration, all out of tempo and toe-curlingly bad. Katy Perry winning when she was up against Beyonce and Santogold, that was just wrong. Pet Shop Boys did a pretty good medley but the inclusion of Lady Gaga (mauling both the Dusty vocal, and the coda of West End Girls) was not necessary. Especially as she was stood in a stupid, mannered position and appeared to be dressed as a piece of willow pattern china. FFS!!! Although her appearance did make me feel favourably disposed towards Brandon Flowers, which is a genuine first for me.

Technology

Twitter I gave in and joined up. Still feeling my way around. Find me at www.twitter.com/misschillydisco

3 Comments:

At 7:06 pm, Blogger Paperback Tourist said...

What's your favourite PSB lyric? (And how did they forget how to write brilliant tunes?) 'Being Boring' is possibly the best song ever written? 'I love you/You pay my rent' is possibly the best chorus ever written? 'Young Offender' (from the very brilliant 'Very') is possibly the best observed song about the generation gap ever written? 'You Only Tell Me You Love Me When You're Drunk' and 'I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give It Anymore' are possibly the greatest song titles ever written?

 
At 8:38 am, Blogger deafdisco said...

It’s hard to beat the deadpan "armani, armani, ar-ar-ar-mani" from Paninaro! Failing that, I never fail to find the evocation of a lonely childhood in Left to my own Devices moving (something to do with the deft touch of Trevor Horn, I’ll warrant).

Ashamed to say that I don’t think I’ve ever heard Young Offender…

Clever song titles from the man who gave us “Dame” David Bowie, “down the dumper” and “back! Back! BACK!!” Even if he had never released a record, I think I would have loved him.

I was once in a pub colloquially known as the Duke of Brackets, which is near the junction of Grays Inn Road and Theobald’s Road, and Neil was having a quiet pint in the corner. I was far too sober to say hello but it was a great thrill to see him.

Absolutely with you on Being Boring. One of the finest songs in recent history and I’m very surprised it hasn’t been turned into a Vegas showtune yet (a la Something).

 
At 9:03 am, Blogger Paperback Tourist said...

Ooh, I hope they don't do that to 'Being Boring', the record has just the right balance of optimism and regret as it is. 'Left To My Own Devices' is a weird lyric. It's throwaway (which is good) and oddly sexy ('It's not a crime when you look the way you do/The way I like to picture you').

You really have to get a copy of 'Very', though! The lyrics to 'Young Offender' are here with a very poignant comment beneath (not me!). But it needs the music. The melody is constructed to highlight the most ironic lines ('You're younger than me/Obviously'). It's almost as tragic as Morrissey's 'Trouble Loves Me'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home