Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Another year with nothing to do

The weekend started well with a trip to my local boozer of old, the Rugby Tavern in Bloomsbury, for some birthday drinks. It was great to catch up with some folk I hadn’t seen in a while. Plans and schemes for more get-togethers were put in motion.

Saturday evening found us in a pub in the dark back streets of Stockwell to celebrate another birthday: this time a landmark one for Mr NB. He was hosting a 60s-themed fancy dress do. The journey to the party was harrowing: we got a black cab from Vauxhall station that was being driven by someone who clearly didn’t have the Knowledge. Upon arrival, we quickly found Messrs. JW and KS in the bar. The latter was dressed up as Charles Manson, which is quite the best fancy dress outfit/concept I think I’ve ever seen. One female guest was in full Thelma from Scooby Doo garb, another great idea. NB himself looked like a White Panther, all enormous jewfro and MC5 t-shirt.

The week started badly with news of draconian measures being brought in with other teams in our department regarding timekeeping, internet and mobile use. I suppose it may be time for me to stop posting on here during work hours. Pah.

A couple of things that I was meaning to post here last week:
I'm sad to report that our friend Ms Harrison lost her battle with cancer the Sunday before last.
The day after I received this piece of news, I was called by Sister #3 to say that she had received confirmation that she didn't have cancer, after a recent scare.

I've felt a mixture of relief and sadness, which is never a terribly comfortable sensation.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home