Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Oh and here comes the part where I break down and cry…

The over-arching theme of the past few days has been bizarre illness (and - whisper it - SNOW). My lip has been swelling up in a Leslie Ash “trout pout” manner (it have been afflicted with this a couple of times in the past, but never within a couple of days before): I assume that I am allergic to something. It's horrible.

On Friday I came home from work feeling nauseous and faintly depressed. I’d been at a company presentation at 9am that morning where lots of buzzwords were used, such as “enrichment” – which I can only assume is this year’s replacement for that awfully confusing, Dickensian word “improving”. I spent the time looking blankly at the presentation on the screen, wondering what else I could do for a living. Still none the wiser about that…with luck, some inspiration will come my way soon. My policy of trying to ignore what’s going on between the hours of 8.30 and 4.30 works out quite well for me in general, but I wonder if I can sustain it long-term? [Rhetorical question.]

The weekend was infected with this general malaise. Nothing of note was achieved or decided, aside from some exciteable devouring/post-it noting of a Las Vegas guidebook (our trip to the US is booked and paid for, I am thankful for this).

Yesterday it was snow-a-go-go! Neither of us went to work and instead went on a walk to Richmond Park via the Ham Common woodlands, which was great. The remainder of the day was taken up with some of those tasks that have been on the to-do list for aeons, like fixing the towel rail in the bathroom and completing the scarf that I started knitting for JJ about 3 years ago. He should really look upon that as an early birthday gift.

I note that Kate Winslet has going on again about how she difficult she finds awards ceremonies. Methinks the lady doth protest too much. Here’s a thought: if you find it so hard, don’t attend. I'll vomit if I have to see her turn the waterworks on once more.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 3:31 pm, Blogger Paperback Tourist said...

Sorry you're feeling so glum. You know my feelings about the work place. I've just read a very good book which I suggest you have a look at when you're in the States. It explains how managing savings with a compound interest plan can eventually provide an income for you.

I know the title of this post comes from Julian Cope. I can't for the life of me remember which song it is!!

 
At 9:05 am, Blogger deafdisco said...

Thanks for the tip, I think I'll go out and get that book in my lunch break today!

I think I was suffering from fun withdrawal yesterday following Monday's snow business.

The song is Elegant Chaos. Copey went through such a classic phase in the 80s, but to say I cannot be arsed to seek out his recent output is understatement of the year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home