Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A little fear of drowning

I have never been a confident or proficient swimmer. There are many things that have contributed to this state of affairs: I never had swimming lessons as a child (actually, no-one I knew did). Aged six on a beach in North Cornwall, I was dragged into the sea by an undertow, which left me terrified of drowning. I’m not what is known as “body confident”, so have always made excuses not to bear flesh. My breathing is shallow and I have bad posture (two dead giveaways that I’m asthmatic).

So I have swum (after a fashion) in the past, but I knew it was a less than graceful effort. If water splashed onto my face, I became panicky. My back and neck would ache like hell afterwards.


A couple of years ago there was an article in Time Out about a swimming technique called the Shaw Method, which was founded by an ex-professional swimmer. He retired from the sport after a serious neck injury and devised this method, using the basic principles of the Alexander Technique as a starting point. He argued that most swimmers were, at best, swimming inefficiently and at worst, causing themselves long-term injury to their necks and backs through poor technique. This way of swimming was also ideal for non-swimmers or for those with a fear of water. I classed myself in both of those categories. Recently, the idea of trying to swim properly occurred to me again, and I booked onto a ‘confidence building’ course.


Last night, I found myself in a tiny (and very warm) swimming pool in Swiss Cottage at my first Art of Swimming class. The other students’ reasons for fear of water were very similar to mine. Within an hour, I found myself gliding from one side of the pool to the other with my face entirely submerged. I've never managed to do that before.


It’s early days and I’m not going to get complacent: this is just week one of five (I’m having to miss one class owing to another commitment, much to my chagrin) – however, I came out of the class yesterday feeling really amazed at what I’d managed to achieve.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 8:43 pm, Blogger Paperback Tourist said...

Interesting. I've been recommending this book to people and the techniques sound very similar. I wonder if they've just ripped off the Shaw Method and trademarked it for themselves!

 
At 8:47 pm, Blogger Paperback Tourist said...

There are so many things that should be taught in schools. This is one of them. The Bates method is another. Things are taught backwards, it's no wonder it's such a painful experience for most.

 
At 8:48 pm, Blogger Paperback Tourist said...

Actually, reading the evidence in that Wikipedia report, perhaps Bates is not a good idea. It reputedly cured Aldous Huxley of near blindness, so I was basing things on that.

 
At 4:20 pm, Blogger deafdisco said...

I'm inclined to think that Shaw came first...but they might have ripped each other off! The key thing is that Art of Swimming are very active on the practical side of things. The classes aren't cheap, but I measured the cost up against the possibility of being able to enjoy swimming in the future. You can't put a price on that (well, you can, but it would be pointless).

 
At 7:41 pm, Blogger Paperback Tourist said...

Either way, it's good stuff. I love a good swim and know the Swiss Cottage pool well. And hurrah for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home