Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be Kate Bush

That was the shortest sabbatical of all time! My, it's fun to be capricious/moody.

I haven't recovered either physically or emotionally yet from the dash to Devon a couple of weekends ago, and to be honest, it's going to take some time. I am being realistic about my mother's illness. I'm refusing to believe, as some are, that she is going to suddenly rally and return to being that brusque/loveable creature that she once was. The fact is, she is frail and weak, and I think she has been lying to us about how she really feels for months.

To those of you with elderly parents: never accept the phrase "I'm fine".

I am hopeful that Mum's treatment will improve now that my four sisters have paid a visit to her GP. It can be hard to disagree with one of us, let alone four. One of my sisters also told the GP that if he was very unlucky and messed up again, that he'd also be blessed with a visit from me.

Regardless, I'm shell-shocked. This is not especially helpful, as there is a lot to do in general as well as for the wedding, and numerous other things also have to be slotted in (chores, the allotment, work - in that order). So I'm feeling a touch ragged at present.

On to other things. Nephew #2 and his fiancee R arrived on Saturday. We went with them to the Globe Theatre to see Troilus and Cressida on Sunday. It was the first time I'd been to the Globe in ages and it was fun, even thought we were standing/it drizzled the entire time. Given that the two young lovers are named in the title of the play, you might expect it to be a tragic tale of love. And...it isn't. It's a tragic tale of war. Kind of. Anyhoo, it was entertaining enough, there were lots of fellas stripped to the waist wearing tiny skirts, as well as Matthew Kelly. [He was pretty good, actually.]

In other news, I am trying to find a venue for our wedding party in London. This has been tougher than I thought it might be. I have a shortlist (short being the operative word) and am due to have a bit of a sneaky mooch around some of the places on Friday with my homegirl Mrs Hall. The response to my initial enquiries from some of the venues has varied from curt to couldn't give a shit to very friendly. I find it amazing that a simple, clear, two line email can elicit such a wide range of replies.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home