Saturday, September 03, 2005

Send me a postcard, darling

Soundtrack: Assorted Napster stuff

The last couple of days have been a bit of a roller coaster.

The leaving/birthday do was enjoyable, despite the fact that I was stone cold sober. This led to a couple of odd exchanges – funny how when some people are drunk, they assume that everyone else is at their level of inebriation…! Circusfreak was out. It was great to catch up with his goings on, and plots were made to go out to catch up properly when I get paid.

Yesterday was tough. I had to say goodbye to Mrs Green, my close friend and colleague of the past five years. This happens to be one of the hardest things I’ve had to do in some time. The pair of us have been through quite a bit together; more than I would ever want to reveal on a blog. Although she is returning to Warrington, which is a long way North, it isn’t somewhere ridiculous like, say, New Zealand.

A few of us ended up in a rather poncey (flock wallpaper; stuffed animal heads) pub on Lamb’s Conduit Street yesterday evening to continue the previous night’s revelries in a more relaxed fashion. Smudge made a brief and welcome appearance and DL’s flatmate Ms Darlington came out (this was a welcome diversion from the main event, because I have wanted to meet her for years).

With every drink that was brought to me, I realised that I was just delaying the inevitable. I couldn’t bring myself to leave first, and it didn’t help that every time Mrs Green and me would try to speak to each other we would end up choking back tears. Bit daft really. But the time came when she really did have to go, and we were both a bit of a mess. I’d had two months to get used to the fact that she was going but it made no difference. I know that Monday is going to be very hard, because I'll have to come in and look at an empty desk.

If you're reading this - good luck with everything, and see you soon.

On my way home I was feeling terribly sorry for myself but thankfully bumped into my young pal Busgrrrl, whom I got chatting to a couple of weeks ago. She had been at the Sleater-Kinney gig in town. She is cool.

I’m going to make my excuses in advance. I probably won’t have the time to post on here for a bit. My new responsibilities (and all the fun that goes with them) are kicking in. The next fortnight, prior to going away, is going to be fairly high-octane.

Fuck me, I’m looking forward my holiday so much, I could weep. And I probably will, if you don’t mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home