Thursday, September 01, 2005

My heart’s in the basement, my weekend’s at all-time low

Soundtrack: Hunky Dory by David Bowie

I lost another two hours’ sleep last night. Shattered, I dragged my carcass into work, only to come home at lunchtime. I have a GP’s appointment tomorrow and I am hoping for illness-curing drugs of some kind.

During my two hours, I was diverted by songs on my internal jukebox (id-pod?!) by 1980s band The The. I was all for writing some kind of eulogy to them here today (discussion about why they aren’t mentioned in the many ‘100 Greatest Albums’ polls or cited as an influence by young bands; some words about the superior musical arrangements and wry lyricism).

However, I have just listened to Infected (the album from whence the songs came) and was sorely disappointed. Instead of the grandiose and cool album I recollected, it is mainly a pile of dated old toss, and sexist toss in places, at that (perhaps I’m missing the irony?)! No wonder they appear to have influenced nobody. As for the eulogy that I wrote during my fever last night – it just proves conclusively that I am unwell.

But ‘Life on Mars?’ eh? Now, that’s a song. [with Rick Wakeman on piano duties, nerd alert!]

Looking forward to tomorrow evening. It’s Mrs. Green’s leaving do combined with Lambo’s birthday do. Smudge and The Ram will be out, so it’s going to be an old guard gathering in the extreme.

Was cheered to my very cockles today by a lovely invitation to Pandaman’s upcoming nuptials, which he has clearly designed and fashioned himself. I know what you’re thinking - sadly, pierrots do not feature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home