Friday, August 04, 2006

We're all normal when we want our freedom...


The legendary Arthur Lee of Love is dead - see story here.

This makes me very sad indeed. I regard him as one of the great figures of the 1960s, as well as a proper hero. He also had one of the warmest and most evocative voices in music. It is a great regret that he died before I got the chance to see him perform live.

Arthur was an enormously talented but troubled individual. His life is detailed here in a pretty up-to-date way. His comeback in recent years followed a low point, during which he'd been jailed for some time.

My favourite album of all time, bar none, is Forever Changes by Love. It is drenched in melancholy and no matter how many times I hear it, I still find something new.

Nothing says it quite as well (with regards to Arthur himself, and to life in general) as the final few verses of that album's final track, You Set the Scene.

'This is the time in life that I am living
And I face each day with a smile
Cos the time that I've been given's such a little while
And the things that I must do consist of more than style
There are places that I am going...

This is the only thing that I am sure of
And that's all that lives is gonna die
And there'll always be some people here to wonder why
And for every happy hello, there will be goodbye
There'll be time for you to put yourself on

Everything I've seen needs rearranging
And for anyone who thinks it's strange
Then you should be the first to want to make this change
And for everyone who thinks that life is just a game
Do you like the part you're playing?'