Friday, June 30, 2006

Do you love me?

Soundtrack: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

I caught up with the Rainbow Child, an old colleague and pal, at lunch today- was great to see him after far too long. It got me thinking about friendship in general.

I know perfectly well that I'm not everyone's cup of tea. In my youth I worried terribly about not being liked. Thankfully, I grew out of that.

I'm loyal and I stick by my friends. However, sometimes you have to let people go when they overstep the mark. In the past 18 months or so I've had an interesting time with this. The minute you find yourself dreading seeing someone, ask yourself why you bother seeing them at all. Ask yourself, 'would my life be better/not discernibly different without this person in it?'.

At the extreme - if someone causes you pain or hurt , shut them out, and change the locks. I'd highly recommend this. And don't look back - like Dylan in the movies.

One of my chiefest joys is seeing old pals and taking up the conversation just where we left off. This summer I plan to come out of my anti-social bunker and do this with a few folk around the country. Hooray!

0 Comments:

<< Home