Thursday, July 13, 2006

I'm not searching for these changes

Soundtrack: Swervedriver

The other evening I went out to a halfway decent boozer in Kingston for a drink or two with some old pals, and very jolly it was too. The Herrietts were out, as were Jim, Mr Partner and Ms Hignett. Mr Tecchia even came up from Worthing for the occasion. The topics of conversation veered from the fake Chas 'n' Dave, to roadside Smiley-face speed indicators, to minature pints of lager, to the pointlessness of un-branded drink mixer swizzle-sticks.

I managed not to mention the recent events en famille to the assembled throng. I see these folk too irregularly to regale them with that sort of thing.

The following passage is from an email from Mr Herriett regarding the topic of celebrity-spotting, which raised a smile earlier this week.

'About 12 years ago when travelling home from Gay Pride (I am neither gay nor proud so I was curious to see how these things work) I spotted Adam Faith walking along and like Mr Hasting felt it necessary to use the traditional Essex greeting, so shouted ‘Oi Budgie’ out of the car window. Unfortunately the 60’s heart throb never recovered from the shock of the brief and brash meeting and keeled over and died a few days later.

Whilst I’m not proud of this it has to be said that killing celebrities is a bit more extreme than just spotting them and I can’t wait for the day I cross paths with Axl Rose, you think we have problems with global warming now – wait til he is burning in hell.'

Amen to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home