Friday, February 24, 2006

An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth

Soundtrack: The Mercy Seat by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Have been reading about Nick Cave's involvement in an upcoming movie The Proposition this morning. I saw a trailer for this film last week (I neglected to mention that we went saw the Johnny Cash biopic Walk the Line last weekend - which was enjoyable). Coming in to work today, I felt the need to immerse myself in some of Cave's back catalogue.

I'm astounded at the force of these songs - my three preferred tracks on the compilation are The Carny, The Mercy Seat and From Her to Eternity. Vengeance, death, religion, morality...it's all here, in its filthy glory.

I'm sure I've said it before, but I find it astonishing that so many people refuse to give Cave airtime because they have an image of him as a doom-mongering goth. What they fail to see is the humour in what he does. Admittedly, it's black humour - but come on, if the 'Great' British Public can embrace The League of Gentlemen and Nighty Night, surely they can handle songs that deal with executions and suchlike...

***************************
This weekend's planned jaunt to Devon has been postponed. Instead, we're off to see Coldcut tomorrow night. Their new album is rather good and has some halfway decent contributors on it (including rock midget Jon Spencer - previously a favourite of mine, currently a man I view with complete indifference). *Blooze eggsplozhun!* Yeah, what-evah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home