Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The mirror always echoes

Soundtrack: Various (Roxy Music; My Bloody Valentine; Dollar; The Slits; Nirvana)

Another Tuesday night with the records in the back bedroom and a bottle of Budvar. This is my time, a time to think about how well I am the Fly segues into Girl U Want, and how many really dodgy 1980s 7" records I own (Tarzan Boy by Baltimora, anyone?). This evening I played Out of the Blue and Pyjamarama by Roxy. Neither of them is their finest hour, but I think the latter comes pretty close (if it had perhaps a little less sax solo?).

I must admit to being a little worn. I can sense trouble coming too. Not sure if this will be in work or in life, but something is brewing. There's lots of insignificant little bits of stuff floating about at present which I'm sure will add up to a great big something soon.

I've found a childhood photo of myself that I'll post here soon. I'm standing in a car park in Holsworthy (which is near the North Devon/Cornwall border, for those of you on other continents - hi, by the way!).

I'm wearing a bridesmaid's dress. I'm squinting at the camera and smiling without showing my teeth (which was very much my 'thing' as a kid). I've got a heavy fringe and it looks like my hair could do with a brush (that hasn't changed). Just looking at the photo I can remember the details: a summer wedding, followed by a holiday in Bude. We may or may not have had a caravanette on that holiday; my beloved pet dachshund Shoona may have been with us. It's at least 28 years ago.

One minute you're a six-year old in a pretty dress, the next thing you know you've woken up boring and a bit wrong and the highlight of your day is a fast train into town. Reality bites - and generally, right on your arse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home