Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Olde English Spangles. Chopper Bikes. John Simm in a three-star tank top.

Soundtrack: Ta Den Lungt by Dungen

Strange, Norwegian tunes courtesy of Smudge. [Ta la!]

I was sat opposite a chap on the train on Monday night. Ipod on, reading a music magazine, in his early 30s, I suppose. As I always do, I cast an eye over his mag to see if it was any good.

A two-page spread on the best of Glam Rock. Promising. Then, a similar feature on AOR. AOR? Eh?

My travelling companion shut the magazine and dozed. Finally, I could see the cover, and this is what I saw.

A Metal Hammer/Classic Rock publication: The 1970s.
And a ribbon strapline: No Disco! No Abba! No Bay City Rollers!

Hello?! The 1970s without those things just isn't the 1970s! And before I get into a row with one or more of you about this, I just want to say that there is room in my life for classic rock, glam, AOR (as long as it's Steely Dan) , disco, Abba AND the mighty Rollers. And personally, I don't know how it's possible to say that glam rock and Abba are two separate and distinct concepts.

While we're on the subject - Life on Mars appears to have distilled the essence of 70s ('Is that Blue Stratos?') and re-animated it on our TV screens. I can't recall much about the decade, but I think they've got the brown polyester quotient about right.

Appropos of nothing...up until recently I had never been exposed to this man very much. If you have E4, for gawd's sake watch him. He's vehr funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home