Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Her life was saved by rock 'n' roll

Soundtrack: Some VU compilation or other

Well, I'm beginning to see the light...

Christmas and New Year passed by gently, with lots of heavy sleeping and quiet drinking. I managed to do none of the knitting I should have done. I became addicted to Extreme Makeover - Home Edition on Channel Five. Presents were few (JJ and I had decided not to do the gift thing this year) but I did get a pair of the furriest sheepskin slippers ever, which were tip top. And JJ's first ever nephew was born just before Christmas.

Just before new year I had the privilege of being invited to a wedding reception. We've been to a few of these this year, but this was the first for a Civil Partnership. The brides were Shazza and Jo G. The best bit? The venue was five stops on the bus from where we live. We ate a lorra cake and some delicious West Indian foodstuffs, and drank rum punch. A large portion of the evening I spent exchanging frank opinions with Ms Page's husband Mr Hackett, which was great. [Sample conversation - the merits of the band Polvo.] Their eyes glazing over, JJ and Ms Page made their excuses and had conversations with some of the more colourful characters at the reception (Sapphic team sport players). And I haven't even touched on the Raw Sex-like duo whom mangled classics such as 'Staying Alive' to alarming effect.

New Year's Eve was surprisingly good, despite having no expectations - or perhaps because of that? I spent it with Barbakella, Steve A, The Goose, Mr Southin, The Human Maraca and The Estimable Mr Perkins. Starting at a fairly bog standard pub North of Kingers, we went on to Mr Perkins' abode, and danced the night away until past 4. We walked home and got in at 5.

Back in the real world now and I don't want to be here. The half-life that I enjoyed during my break is calling me.

My life really was saved by rock n roll, you know.

Happy New Year to you all. x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home