Monday, November 21, 2005

Mod-Century Middern

Internal soundtrack: I dosed and became invisible by Joy Zipper and Soon by My Bloody Valentine

On Saturday I went to a baby shower hosted by JJ’s sister-in-law.

Before we go any further, I’d like to say that I do not approve of the adoption of American celebrations here. However, as the person whom is having the baby has a close American friend, I suppose it isn’t surprising that the shower happened.

I arrived late, of course…thankfully T Clouse was in evidence along with the Two Small Clouses, which thankfully made a big difference to the afternoon.

I’m generally in favour of people having babies. What I’m not in favour of is all the hoo-hah that goes with it (particularly around consumerism). The place was absolutely groaning with baby ephemera…and all this for a person who works in a very good job, gets paid well, and pretty much wants for nothing. Was the mountain of gifts (worth hundreds of pounds) strictly necessary?

I know it’s the thought that counts and I probably sound really miserable…but events like this make me acutely aware of the gap that exists between the haves and have-nots.

On Sunday JJ and I drove to Bexhill to go to the Mid-Century Modern sale at the De La Warr Pavilion. Two words – good lord. Bexhill is a vivid reminder of the UK before the relaxation of trading laws and is surely the town that Mozzer wrote ‘Everyday is like Sunday’ about. The place fairly reeks of death.

The exhibition was a bit of a waste of time, too. I find the thrill of buying something vintage or second hand lies in finding it in a dusty junk/charity shop and paying a fair price for it, rather than having a man in a paisley shirt telling me that it’s an original Finn Juhl and trying to charge me a grand.

Yes, I am old-fashioned (but not so old-fashioned that I think that it's a good idea for a town to shut down at the weekend).