Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Leaving card ettiquette

Over the past few years of working, a number of times I've been faced with a leaving card and have thought, 'Maybe I should say what I really think here...'.

On receipt of the most recent card this morning, I was reminded of something that my late father said at Sister Number Four's wedding.

The time came for him to give his father of the bride speech, so he stood up and said:

'Well, what can I say?'

Then he sat down again.

My Dad really wasn't one for confrontation. He was more of a behind-the-scenes manipulator, perferring to let my Mother do the dramatic stuff (remonstrating, threats etc.). He generally had his say, but never directly to us. He was content to let Mum be the bad guy. When you think about it, that was a very smart move, given that there were five of us to dish it out to.

Dad was right, though. The marriage lasted just 18 months. Anybody at the wedding could have predicted that, but he had the balls to say it.

I wrote in the card: 'Well, what can I say? It's been fun. Good luck in your new role'

I'm sure Dad would approve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home