Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Around my moods in a day

Soundtrack: Around the World in a Day by Prince

Earlier, I had a creeping feeling. I felt an almighty bad mood brewing.

Those of you whom have known me a while will know that I hardly ever lose my temper. When I do, it tends to be a spectacular event. Spectacular as long as you're not in the way when the things start to get thrown around, that is.

When things get like this I generally turn to the record decks and a couple of large drinks for solace. So, I've had a large glass of white wine (not my usual tipple, I must admit), just enough to impair my vision. I've put on a succession of my favourite records. This evening I've variously played:

Rolling Stones 'Rocks off'
New York Dolls 'Personality crisis'
MC5 'Rocket Reducer No. 62 (Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa)'
Iggy and the Stooges 'I wanna be your dog'
Wire 'I am the fly'
PJ Harvey 'Dress'
Bowie 'Queen Bitch'
Saint Etienne 'Join our club'
The Byrds 'Feel a whole lot better'

And I'm now listening to my favourite album by one of my favourite artists.

I adore Prince. He can do no wrong. [Well, he can do wrong - he frequently releases quadruple albums full of tedious funk workouts. But it doesn't hurt anyone, so go right ahead, la] But, his '80s output? Man, he was Mozart. So, don't diss the Prince. He rules. Right now the chord sequences on Condition of the heart are making me want to cry my eyes out. What a manipulator.

I saw him play live once. It was during one of his very worst periods (Thieves in the temple was just out). He was tiny, but he had about ten costume changes, pirouetted about on six-inch heels and played the most heart-breaking version of Nothing compares 2 u that I've ever had the pleasure to hear.

Which reminds me, the B-side of the Sinead O'Connor version has a great song on it called Jump in the river, which I used to put on the jukebox at college.

Today has been a nadir, but I feel fantastic now. I feel the very opposite of stressed. It's possible that a large amount of that can be attributed to The Booze, but I like to think that it's the power of great art that has helped me through my darkest hour.

0 Comments:

<< Home