Friday, September 30, 2005

The Sun and the Rain

After a gruelling early start (2.30am BST) we made it back to the UK yesterday morning.

Some things that struck me while I was in Malta:

How much British people abroad hack me off. I was getting to the stage that if anyone else shrugged at me (in response to what they saw as indifferent service, or somesuch) and said ‘You British?’ I was going to respond (in a perfect Home Counties accent) ‘No, ACTually, I consider myself to be a Canadian’.
Living in the capital city of this country for so long has made me largely immune to rudeness from people. But I hope I am not alone in wishing that visitors to other countries had more respect for their hosts, whom are putting up from crap from us, and the Germans, and the French…it makes my toes curl, it really does.

How greedy people are when they are faced with a buffet of any kind.

How most advice about using sunscreens and sunbathing in moderation is being largely ignored. JJ and I were easily the palest people in the entire Med. One gentleman (a rather large Geordie) looked like a walking beetroot.

How much the music of Mogwai fits with a warm climate and blue sky – I never would have guessed this before. Thank the lord for the CD Discman.

How great sea water swimming pools are. This one had so much salt in it, it was practically the Dead Sea.

How (on the sea water note) when my hair is dirty and has salt built up in it, I have a barnet not dissimilar to ‘Is This Desire?’-era Polly Harvey. I quite like that look and it’s something I intend to cultivate. This won’t be hard, because as some of you know, I hate washing my hair.

How little I worried about work (or life in general) in the UK while I was away.


Now I’m back, my hacking cough has returned (lovely!) and I am feeling a bit deflated. I’m sure it’ll pass. Still, I have a the weekend to look forward to what with the Knitting Expo and a Sunday afternoon soiree…woo, suburban life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home