Thursday, October 06, 2005

Heavier than heaven

Last night's gig was a bit of a triumph.

Part Chimp played all of their slow numbers and so almost out-Melvinned the Melvins. Their lead singer, a man I have expressed a preference for in the past, has cut his hair. Thus, his allure has evaporated. I thought they numbered about six members or so, but last night there were just four of them onstage. This may be because I was terribly drunk when I last saw them play, about 18 months ago. In fact they were so loud and brilliant on that occasion that I cried with laughter.

Deerhoof were crazy and brilliant, with a tiny Japanese singer and three slightly simple-looking men. They were a bit jazz and quite rock in places, and certainly fun to watch.

Melvins singer/guitarist King Buzzo was wearing a dress/smock made from camo-style material, and as a result looked a lot like Grotbags (off of the Rod Hull and Emu Show). They played a blinder (or should that be a deafer? Thank heavens for earplugs!) and ended their set with two songs from the MC5's Kick out the Jams.

I liked them already, but any band that can make a good fist of the MC5's songs is fine by me. Merv and I had a cracking old time.