Monday, November 14, 2005

Over-wintering

Soundtrack: Joy Zipper by Joy Zipper

It feels like we're hurtling towards Winter now. The mornings are much colder and more foggy, and it's tougher to get out of bed. However, there are upsides - Richmond Park and Ham Common are beautiful at the moment. I'm also enjoying wearing the scarf I knitted while Live8 was on earlier this year. So, that dismal televisual event was good for something after all. [My one highlight was Snoop 'What's my muthafuckin name?' Dogg, whom at least made me get up and dance for five minutes.]

The last few days have been up and down. Friday was a busy and somewhat fraught day, and culminated with me seeing Explosions in the Sky at the Garage with Merv, Smudge and KiwiTom. It was a real pleasure to spend time with these folks (it always is, actually). The band were really rather good and I was just the right side of not-too-drunk to enjoy it. They came on and played for an hour straight - no talking, no gaps between songs, no encore.

On Saturday I had a tough time coping with the inevitable hangover, but eventually recovered enough to go to a jumble sale on the other side of Ham. I did rather well. I picked up a pair of knee-length Gap jeans (a fashion item that I would never consider purchasing for full price), a Jaeger wool T-shirt, a Carhartt T-shirt which looks like it has never been worn, some excellent headscarves (which I'm sure will come in handy for something) and an electric blue shawl, which I have given to Miss JoJo. I really enjoyed the rummaging and have resolved to try to get along to sales more often.

Spoke to the delightful Ms. Robinson yesterday evening and was shocked to hear that she was admitted to hospital last week. Get better soon, lady.