Friday, February 03, 2006

SH RIP

I am truly saddened to hear that Smash Hits magazine is to fold after 28 years of publication. [An excellent eulogy by Pete Paphides here]

It was the magazine that shaped my childhood. Every fortnight, on a Thursday, I would get the new issue, read, re-read it and memorise the best bits for the two weeks leading up to the new issue arriving.

After Pete Burns' recent appearance on Big Brother, I recalled the lengthy double-header SH interview Pete did in the company of Morrissey. I gather they eventually fell out after Pete showed up at Moz's gaff in a fur coat. Nothing much changes, eh.

Another interview that sticks in the mind is one with Ian McCulloch where he was incredibly rude. The title of the piece was (something like) 'UUUUGHHHHHOOOOOOAHHHHHHWWHHFFHH' - an approximation of the yawn that he kept affecting to irritate his interviewer.

Great Hits phrases: 'Sir Billiam of Idol'; 'George Michael is back, Back, BACK!'; 'Fab Macca Wacky Thumbs Aloft'; 'Old Toblerone Bonce' (referring to Paul Weller's ugly, middle-parted hairdo).

Strangely enough - just yesterday I found my Smash Hits Yearbook 1987 (always the best present in the Xmas stocking). No other annual would feature posters of the Jesus and Mary Chain, the ugliest band on the planet...or indeed ask popstars daft questions such as 'Do you know anyone called Tarquin?'.

It made me what I am today - a sad music nerd. I'll never forget those glory years (1981-1988). Smash Hits, I thank you.

1 Comments:

At 10:52 pm, Blogger The Circus Beyond said...

That was a truly superb eulogy (Paphides's, I meant - although yours is brief and brilliant). And the original magazine wasn't half bad. Maybe just a tenth bad, and 90% skill (in the parlance of the 80s)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home