Sunday, July 11, 2010

You can't get a grip if there's nothing to hold

I've been putting this off for a while, so I'm going to launch in.

In reverse order:

We went to a house party for the Clouses, who are moving back to Austin. Boo for the UK, hooray for Texas.

We both came back from our holiday with stinking colds and deafness in one ear (an incredibly steep ascent into Gatwick will do that to your hearing).

We went on holiday to a hotel outside Albufeira on the Algarve. The hotel was nowhere near anything, which was excellent, and on the one day we decided to catch up with civilisation, we ran away whimpering (Albufeira is full of Brits). Our hotel was near two perfect beaches, so we did a lot of paddling. To be honest, my holiday mostly consisted of me sleeping, watching Fox, eating, sitting about and feeling miserable. Not vastly different from being at home.

I had to deal with the day that would have been Mum's birthday. It was my last Monday off under my part-time regime and I was in a peculiar mood, so took the bus to Hampton Court, where I sat about feeling immensely sad. Instead of getting the bus back to Kingston, I took the boat. Mum loved doing the boat trip the last time she came to stay. There are many more days like this to come and I suppose it could have been worse (I might have ended up at home lying in a darkened room). Unfortunately, that doesn't make me feel much better.

We went to Becky and Dai's fancy dress wedding party (me as Velma from Scooby Doo, JJ as Tommy Cooper). It was a fun time marred by our having to stay in the hottest hotel room in the world: I woke up at 2.30 in the morning, convinced that my organs were cooking inside my body.

I dealt with a pile of the necessary death-related stuff - solicitors, banks, estate agents. I almost wish it wasn't the case, but I seem to be able to switch on the business brain every time. Someone has to take charge; it may as well be me.

That's it really. Things just continue on. I'm back at work full time as of tomorrow, which fills me with dread. I wish I could say something positive like "I feel like I've turned a corner" but I haven't, and I probably won't, for months yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home