Tuesday, April 13, 2010

For the wings of the Doves

I'd like to discuss my recent enjoyment of the band Doves.

Before I go any further, I should explain that I know next to nothing about the band. I couldn't pick them out of a line-up. I gather that they are a couple (possibly three?) middle-aged Mancunian gentlemen. Many years ago they used to be a one-hit-wonder type band called Sub Sub and I used to enjoy their one big hit at our university indie disco. Anyway, as Doves, they've been steadily releasing singles for the past ten years, many of which I've never heard, only on adverts or Match of the Day montages.

Last week I decided to buy their "best of" album, on the strength of their most recent single. It isn't half bad. Anthemic, yet introspective. On the doomy side, I'd say. But by god, they're melodic. They have a real way with a tune, and go for chord progressions and modulations that nobody else would. When they're acoustic, they remind me of my teenage faves, All About Eve. However, at points I've found myself wincing and thinking oh god, Coldplay.

I honestly have no idea if this band are well-received critically, or if they are widely hated by most people. Maybe they are one of those outfits that nobody ever thinks about. Perhaps you could let me know? Not that I really mind what anyone else thinks. Put it this way, on a regular three-hour car journey you need something big and expansive in the background, and Doves are it. Nice one, Doves.


Next week: U2.

[Joking.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home