Sunday, January 03, 2010

It's nothing special

*A brief foreword: I lost half of this post because Blogger signed me out, so if this seems a little pissed-off in tone, that's why.*

Incredible. I can't quite believe where the last ten years have gone. I recently had to shut my Hotmail email address (post-hacking) and was astounded when I noticed it had been set up in September 1999.

Let's tackle 2009 before we tackle the decade, though, eh.

2009 - in short
A bit of a big one in the grand scheme of things. I got married to my long-term (and some would say, long-suffering) partner JJ. At the same time as I was planning our wedding, my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. So all the jollity has been tempered rather. I am feeling pretty sad, yet the last six months have been amongst the best times I've ever had. The irony doesn't escape me.

Still, what is life if it isn't full of ephemeral stuff to get you through the laffs and the tears?

Music
I think I said a year ago that it I hadn't been able to settle to new stuff. Many of this year's top albums I have never heard, and probably never will. A few songs caught my ear and made me smile: Poker Face, Single Ladies, Heavy Cross, Heads Will Roll. The 80s came back again, which is a bit boring when you can remember the music in (frankly) autistic-levels of detail from last time around. I also liked Stereolab's most recent album, which will be their last. Typical.

Films
In the Loop, for sure. I saw this in a packed Curzon Soho and I honestly thought I was going to cough up my lungs with laughter at one point. My favourite Malcolm Tucker line: "I will hound you to an assisted suicide...".
Also, Anvil! The Story of Anvil, which has to be one of the funniest and heart-warming films I think I've ever seen. Favourite scene: the wedding reception. I watched this on a plane and was shuddering silently with laughter, the tears pouring down my face - the stewardess was quite concerned.
Moon was also superb, with a great central performance or two from Sam Rockwell.
Definitely not Burn After Reading, which had I not been on a aircraft at the time, I think I would have walked out of. Bilge.

TV
3o Rock, Mad Men, The Wire...so much great telly this year.

Untimely departure
The one, the only Lux Interior.
"I've been to the mountain, it was just a big hill"

Teenage crush of the year
Out in front by about nine miles, Charlie Brooker (despite the fact that he frequently makes me look like a lunatic on public transport, when I'm laughing out loud at his newspaper column). And Richard Armitage, surely the only sane reason to watch Spooks.

That's it for now, readers,: I wish all three of you a happy new year.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:44 am, Blogger Starheart said...

Richard Armitage was the only reason I watched Spooks, though towards the end i softened towards Hermione Norris as Ros. The series has its moments. My fav eps are 4 and 6, but some were a bit meh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home