Monday, March 22, 2010

As birds we dream of the sky

Another weekend in Devon. Yesterday afternoon, I persuaded Mum that we should drive down to the coast for a bit of a look at the sea (with the proviso that we wouldn't get out of the car). She agreed, much to my amazement, so off we went.

We went to Exmouth, the nearest seaside town. It's a place that holds some fond memories for me, because I spent a lot of time there with friends and my ex while I was at college. We parked down at the far end, near the cliffs, and watched numerous dogs and children tearing about on the sand. We felt a little bit guilty, having left the Greatest Dog in the World at home, but I didn't fancy her trying to get under my feet/brake pedal while I was on the motorway. Next time I'll take an assistant with me who can put her in a headlock in the back. We ate ice creams and Mum wore JJ's wraparound driving sunglasses, and looked like an elderly female version of The Fly, which was momentarily strange.

I've been taking the Dog out for at least two walks a day, and I've been enjoying listening to the birds chirp and hop about. I think we're all longing for spring - two legs, four legs, winged and beaked alike.

My new regime is hard, which I was prepared for, but it has also made me realise how much time I've been wasting. It's clear that things won't be the same after this is all over, in more than one respect.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home