Friday, January 26, 2007

You gotta beat the clock

That resistable little turd Jamie T is getting a lot of press at the moment. I saw him support the similarly terrible Vincent Vincent and the Villains at The Peel in December 2005 (see here), and remember wincing at his terrible saaarf laahndun/cod-Jamaican patois back then. Every magazine or paper I open, there's his cheeky little fizzog leering at me, the miniature shitbag.

I said in my review of the abovementioned gig that the atmosphere was that of a feverish Kingston Grammar School social. Which leads me onto this...

Last night I fell prey to the E4 marketing machine and tuned in to watch the new teen drama thing Skins. In this drama, which left me feeling ambivalent (apart from a couple of obvious laughs), there were posh girls flitting about, with a counterpoint of geezerish young chaps who were very much 'yeah I'm dead into naughty stuff like drugs and sex, me!'. It put me in mind of that night at The Peel.

Not sure what I'm really trying to get at here. I suppose Skins reminded me vaguely of my time at college, which was an interesting experience on many fronts (although frankly, the cast were better looking and better dressed than any of us were in 1989). I feel genuinely sad that I have lost contact with some of the friends I made back then. However, it's bleedin obvious that you can't stay young forever.

This morning I went to the Post Office to order my new passport. The man at the counter looked askance at the photo and I said, 'that's me ten years ago...' to which he responded, 'yep, we're all getting older aren't we'. Quite right we are.

No looking backwards though, only forwards now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home