Thursday, December 14, 2006

Round and round and round and round

Soundtrack: Life's too Long by Earl Brutus

I've crammed a lot into the last few days.

Last Friday morning we set off to The Nightmare Before Christmas, curated by Thurston Moore at Butlins in Minehead. In the chalet were me, JJ, Too Cool for School, Copenhagen Paul, Ms Robinson and her betrothed, Mr Hall. When we were there we met up with various folk we knew including Mr Weaver, Nige, Kes, Ms Karen and Mr Justin Spear.

We went to the thing primarily for the attraction of the headline act, the mighty Iggy and the Stooges. There were plenty of other acts on, mostly of the noodly nonsense variety (too many to list here, but honourable mentions for My Cat is an Alien and Dead Machines).

I was impressed by Gang of Four, the MC5 and Sonic Youth. Iggy was marvellous, predictably.

One thing that struck me was just how blokey the whole thing was. There weren't many girls on the bill. While I'm not saying that some women would have necessarily improved it, it might have made the whole thing a bit less chest-beating. On the second night we had to defend ourselves against a drunken/indignant Scottish man, and then against a thick-set chap who thought he would have a go at mauling all three of us ladies - no mean feat. His forehead was so low it was practically dragging on the floor. Apart from these incidents, everyone we met was unfailingly polite and friendly.

There were numerous problems on the weekend with queues for bands and people failing to see what they wanted to. I sincerely hope the organisers can get this straightened out before their next events.

So to this week. We returned from the festival in fairly poor shape (a steady diet of loud music, beer, pizza, curry, crisps and no sleep does that for you). Following my return to work I went out for my work Xmas lunch almost immediately, this was a pleasant few hours (and included the best ever secret santa gift, which was given to a very sweet and naive girl - a g-string made of candy). From there onto Shuttleworths, my local from my theatre days.

Last night was our work Xmas party. Following recent events, there was a mixture of belligerence, hysteria and sadness in the air. The company had outdone themselves on the cheapness of the venue. We had to pay for the cloakroom for the first time ever, which appalled us. We had spent the best part of the afternoon making 'At risk of redundancy' badges for all of those who are set to lose their jobs in various styles...this was done primarily to amuse ourselves, but also to make the management and out HR department feel uncomfortable. I then drank A LOT of beer.

In a week's time it'll be my last day until 2007. Feels great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home