Monday, December 04, 2006

We'd fight and never lose

Soundtrack: Kiki and Herb

The weekend was spent largely contemplating my forthcoming redundancy - letting the reality of this sink in, and thinking about what's next.

...as usual, I have no idea what's next. This is a source of a bit of worry. I've never really known what I wanted to do with my life (aside from the obvious sit about/do nothing thing). I hope to gawd I can sort this small matter out over the next few months.

I went out to the boozer with Mrs West, Ms Chamberlain and Llamaboy on Saturday night. We had a pleasant time in the pub drinking and chatting, then the three of us ladies went on to a club at the Islington Academy.

Perhaps I should start by saying that I loathe the Academy. It's a toilet in the middle of a shopping complex and is stupidy badly-designed for live music/clubbing. [The venue's early days were associated with the king of the arses David Stewart, and this could explain why it is generally useless.]

We were due to go to a club called Feeling Gloomy, which has received a bucketload of good press over the last few months. However, having received rather an amusing e-flyer for a night called Club de Fromage from the same people, we decided to get ourselves on the guest list and give it a try.

How pleased am I that we didn't pay for the pleasure of going to the club? It was fucking awful. As far as I can tell it was a half-arsed hybrid of School Disco and Guilty Pleasures: but with none of the charm or fun of either. The musical highlights were few (Funky cold medina, 24 hour party people). Just after midnight, the bloke who used to be Pete Beale in Eastenders was dragged onstage to an uncomprehending crowd. In fact, I found myself wondering where the barrel was, so we could scrape it some more.

Sunday was spent recovering from the booze and the late night, and musing on running a club night of my own does does the exact opposite of what I experienced on Saturday.

ATP this week - at last! The perfect antidote to redundancy, my impending birthday and Xmas.

1 Comments:

At 9:00 pm, Blogger Talia said...

Well I was just pondering Club De Fromage for my birthday, but I hated Feeling Gloomy and this sounds similarly poo. Glad I read your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home