Monday, January 22, 2007

The most depressing day of the year

Soundtrack: The Sisters of Mercy

It's the most depressing day of the year, apparently.

I think that sweeping generalisations aren't useful in general, but this time of January does tend to be a bad time for a lot of folk. It isn't a good time of the year for me in general for reasons outlined a year ago in this same spot, but I don't feel too bad at present. Of course, all it takes is something small to set me off. Personally, I have found that the passage of time helps with grief - that's an awful cliche, but it does have some truth in it. As you get older you become more adept at the whole coping strategy thing too.

There's not a lot to report chez me at present. I had a pleasant chat/drink/meal with first Merv, then Circusboy and finally Ms Robinson on consecutive days last week, which was good fun. That's been the fun bit.

Mostly, however, JJ and me have been up to our eyes in sanding woodwork and painting in our bathroom. The whole flat smells of gloss and white spirit, which really gets to you after a while. Our adventures in DIY seem to be never-ending and we are both a bit depressed by this. I'm also getting worried about the allotment, which has been neglected for months on end in favour of flat improvements.

Still, I suppose it's possible that I'll have plenty of time for gardening come June.

A postscript: a neighbour has recently bought a miniature black and tan dachshund (my dog of choice, having owned one as a child). We discovered on Saturday that the puppy is called Dave. He also won't go out for a walk unless Rufus, the Jack Russell that lives upstairs, knocks on the door for him.

Priceless on both counts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home