Thursday, January 04, 2007

Two double-oh seven

HNY everybody!

New Year's Eve passed without a hitch really, despite me and JJ having the plague. We both felt rather ill before going to Guilty Pleasures, but forced ourselves to go out. No doubt our companions are now ailing with the illness we had (sorry everyone).

Before the night started, we got to see Ennio Marchetto do his thing. He made me laugh like a drain - particularly his impression of Kylie, which has a great pay-off (can't reveal this in case any of you are off to see him).

The party itself was alright - but not nearly as weird or cheesy as I had hoped, being a big fan of some of the strange numbers that make their way onto the GP compilation albums. Lots of very obvious records good-time records played, some by Nicky Holloway - whom some of our number had last seen DJing at a rare groove New Year event some twenty years previously. Now that's a sure sign you're getting on.

It also had a very unusual mix of people. Well, when I say unusual, I mean quite at lot older than your average crowd. Not sure if that was a GP thing or a South Bank thing. One of my pals said 'it has the air of a science conference here' - despite never having been to one. I have, and that observation wasn't far off the mark! We did have a great view of the fireworks from the terrace outside the Royal Festival Hall, as well as glow-sticks - my favourite.

But the biggest bonus of all was bumping into Ms Sarah P in the loos. I wasn't expecting to see her and vice versa, and it was marvellous. A night out to Uptight is being tentatively planned.

Anyhoo...

I am pleased that the New Year is with us - 2006 was not the best of times.

I tried hard to leave my job and failed, then the large multinational I work for decided it wanted to see the back of me instead. Which was ironic, but provided me with the first real glimmer of hope I've had all year. Now I'm back at work in 07, the novelty has worn off swiftly, and I've realised that it's going to be a long slog to hit my inevitable paydirt. I'm currently looking at it like a out-of-shape woman in her mid-thirties looks at the assault course at Lympstone Commando.

I was going to do lists here, but my ailing memory makes this very difficult. So I'm going to randomly group some stuff together instead.

Good bits of 2006
Finally getting broadband from a decent provider
Enjoying MC5 and Iggy at ATP
Enjoying my pals' company at ATP
Finding out I was being made redundant
Finding out how much money I was potentially worth at the end of current employment
Hearing The Amazing Vomit Story, which is rapidly passing into legend
DJing badly at Pandaman's birthday party
Our break in Barcelona, including the insane Champions League celebrations
Seeing Go-Kart Mozart at long last
Lost Season 2
Enjoying Russell Brand's Sunday morning show on BBC 6 Music

Bad bits of 2006
Having my joint bank account defrauded from another continent over Xmas - don't ask, I don't want to go there!
Putting up with some boorish macho nonsense at ATP
TableGate - my family's feud, which is only currently half-resolved
Orange Broadband, the worst internet provider of all time ('Let me call you sweetheart'? NO, let me call you a bunch of useless wankers who can't run a business and whose definition of free broadband clearly means broadband that won't ever work...)
Not getting to see Lost Season 3 (curse you, Rupert Murdoch!)
My horrible meltdown over Easter

Umtimely departures
The inimitable Arthur Lee

Timely departures
Smash Hits
Top of the Pops

Should be euthanised
The people who run the club night Club de Fromage
The England football and cricket squads
Anyone who defrauds other peoples' bank accounts
Those who run and make money from Orange Broadband

Best quote on a TV programme
'I'd rather have cat AIDS, fanks': Amy Winehouse, in response to Simon Amstell's suggestion that she should work with Katie Melua

Best anecdote
Should really be The Amazing Vomit Story, but Copenhagen Paul's tale about turning down a support slot with Gary Numan was a corker ('our manager said we should do it and not tell anyone')

Acid trax
Over and Over by Hot Chip
Rehab by the aforementioned Winehouse
Alala by CSS
Listen Up by The Gossip
...and a special mention for Simple Man by Klaus Nomi, for which I must thank Trevor Locke.

That's that - toodle-pip for now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home