Friday, March 24, 2006

Tell the world that you're winning...love and life, love and life...

Soundtrack: 12"/80s/2

Relating to my pal's recent recollections of nuclear war-related childhood terror, I thought I'd pitch in with my view. Well, it isn't quite a view, it's more a collection of thoughts...

I've been listening to the 12" 'Annihilation' remix of Two Tribes a lot recently. There's lots of extracts from Protect and Survive in that mix and it still scares the living shit out of me. The younger readers of this blog may wonder what all the fuss is about I'm sure, but believe me, when Reagan and Thatcher were knocking about, we all wondered when (not if) we would be nuked. All the way down the M5 were stencils that protestors had sprayed on the bridges that said CRUISE MISSILE ROUTE. As a kid who read and thought far too much anyway, this was incredibly potent to me.

This morning, I was reminded that my mother once told me that she was terrified that the earth would one day crash into the sun. Then she lived through WW2, which changed her life completely in a huge number of ways. But that's another blog in itself.

I was also reminded of an old colleague whose father-in-law was a colonel in the US Army, who had an obsession with playing the board game Risk. This tickled my colleague enormously. Because that's surely like a surgeon wanting to play Operation on the weekends?!

********************************************************

Two things I forgot to post yesterday.

Small Monkeys 1 and 2 were given BB guns as a Friday afternoon treat last week. They don't use ball bearings any more - just these weird yellow plastic things, which are stored in plastic jars in the shape of grenades. JJ and I spent some time shooting small targets with them. As we left their house their cat came into the house, upon which SM2 said, 'Ah, now's my time to go cat hunting'. Which is pure evil, but it made me laugh.

After going to see V for Vendetta on Wednesday, we realised that most of Petersham and Ham had been blacked out. It was just as well we'd been in N1 for most of the evening, knocking back bitter and talking rubbish! So, for one night only, living in the 'burbs was like living in the middle of the countryside, pitch black and peaceful.