Thursday, September 21, 2006

The smell of repetition really is on you

Soundtrack: Hot Chip

Groo.

I have a hangover. On just two pints of lager! Last night I was out with Young Radish (whose blog appears to have vanished, due to inactivity) and Ms. Robinson to check out some comedy at the Royal Vauxhall Tavern. We saw three acts, one of which was fairly bad so I'm not going to devote much space to him - needless to say, tired gags about how getting stoned is quite funny didn't light anyone's fire, and he died.

However, we did see two rather excellent female performers doing their thing.

Shazia Mirza is a female, Muslim comic, and she made me laugh like a drain. Very near the knuckle at points, but also very clever. 'Shazia, are you coming out tonight?' 'No, I've got things to do at home. Like bouncing pennies off my hymen'. Also lots of digs about white women being slappers and some good suicide bomber gags. Everyone was scared to laugh at those, at first.

Mrs Barbara Nice headlined and made me laugh just as much as she always does. Stagediving to Iggy Pop! Quoting from Take a Break!

Aside from the acts we all told each other some jokes, which was almost as funny as the acts. Some great Jewish jokes from the Radish and lots of Indian grandmother anecdotes from Ms. Robinson - 'Why do you get so tall?!! No-one will marry you!!'

Off out tonight for more drinks, and on Friday for more. I'm tired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home