Friday, June 24, 2005

Dry the rain

Soundtrack: KEXP Seattle

I was listening to the Beta Band's 'Three EPs' on the way in to work today which is one of the most summery albums I own. It aint a stone-cold classic, but on the whole it's a corker. [It also reminds me of my close friend Ms Darwin, which is a good thing.] A couple of their songs use birdsong as samples, which is perfect for this time of year. Of course, not all birdsong is melodious - the wild and crazy parakeets that live near me wake me every day in with their screeching, which starts at dawn.

The allotment is blooming. Loads of raspberries and the salad potatoes we've dug so far have been delicious. There's nothing better than the smell of water on dry earth...it's quite possibly my favourite smell.

My cute embroidery kit has arrived this morning. I'm turning into an old lady...a colleague joked that it'll be jam next. He immediately went on to tell me that he has some blackcurrant bushes in his garden, but his family don't go bundles on them. Sacrilege! So I have expressed an interest - he said that last year there were about four pounds of currants. Have already started dreaming about the many pies that could be made from that amount of fruit.

It's JJ's birthday weekend: no big celebration planned, just the pair of us hanging about. Rain is forecast so hopefully that'll mean that we don't have to schlep down the allotment too much. Note my use of the Yiddish there, in honour of Young Radish, whom I've just had a very pleasant lunch with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home