Friday, June 17, 2005

Cat-house to art-house

A good pal of mine is leaving work today. We've been mates since the first company summer party I went to...we got chatting in the toilets of the O'Neills on the Euston Road (truly the best bit of a horrid place) about Danielle Dax. Lord knows how we got onto that topic - possibly it was because we both have dark hair/pale skin, a classic goth combo if ever there was one. It's going to be tough to see her go. Still, Oscar will benefit from seeing his Mum more. I can't begrudge the little fella that. I salute you, Mrs West!

Change and decay in all around I see. The Circus Beyond will be leaving soon. It'll be up to others like Young Radish to entertain me then. That's a terrible burden for him.

The other night some of the old guard gathered at the gastropub the Duke of Brackets to wish our friend Smudge well, prior to the imminent arrival of Smudge junior. The conversation turned to films, specifically which Hollywood stars we'd like to see playing us in a film of our working lives here (in both blockbuster and arthouse-style).

I came out lucky: my blockbuster actor was Janeane Garofalo (my own suggestion) and my arthouse girl Maggie Gyllenhaal (Smudge's suggestion).
H is to be portrayed by either Charlize Theron or Chloe Sevigny;
Lambo got Hugh Laurie and Tim Roth (a terribly relaxed man rendered edgy and dangerous - I'd love to see that!)
Smudge's casting was inspired: James Spader and Vincent Gallo. Particularly the latter.
DL was tough to cast but some of the choices were excellent: Basil Rathbone/the young David Niven or Philip Roth for the blockbuster, alongside John Tarturro for art DL.

I can't tell you our desired plotline, because I gather you're not supposed to be offensive about people in blogs. For those of you whom have worked with me, you'll recognise who I'm talking about. The movie centres around the grisly death of an annoying and misogynistic Studio supervisor (played by Vin Diesel/Philip Seymour Hoffman).

More soon. Enjoy this link to The Londonist in the meantime (at the insistence of my pal Merv - whom would like to be played by the ghost of Bill Hicks).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home